Friday, December 01, 2006

The Joy Of Writing

After finishing Death Becomes Her, I can now return to the book I was half-way through, Date With The Devil. I put that WIP down to write Death, due to some interest in seeing the finish work, but I have to say, it was a weird experience.

You see, when I write, the characters take up residence in my head. Little scenes come to me periodically as though I'm watching scenes from a movie. I get involved in these characters and as odd as it might sound, they become a part of my life.

So the entire time I was writing Death, the characters from Date were in my head as well. It was like trying to watch two TV shows at once. Very distracting and not exceptionally fun. (To those of you who write more than one thing at a time, I don't know how you do it!)

Now the Date characters have free reign. And they're verra happy. I am really looking forward to getting back into that book (by rereading everything I've written so far) and writing it to the end.

Because it just so happens, the characters from the next book I want to write are already whining to be heard.

4 comments:

  1. You know if you said stuff like that to anyone but writers they would think you were nuts. I just sympathize. Been there done that.
    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous9:43 AM

    I like to have two books running at once. They'll each call me away from the other and it seems like I'm more enthused about both that way. It's a matter of "Hmm, which one shall I play with today?" rather than, "Sigh, guess I'll get back to the grind." :D NaNo was a grind -- working on the same ms day after day after day... Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous10:47 AM

    I know what you mean, Kristen :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous3:32 AM

    I can be thinking about another book while writing one, but I would find it really hard to write two at once. Like you, my characters take over my mind and if I try to balance two at once, I spend a lot of time re-reading to get back into the characters lives each time.

    I have a hard enough time remember what's going on in my own day to day life. Add a book I'm working on and a book I'm thinking about, I really can't track anymore. :)

    ReplyDelete