Saturday, May 30, 2009
Friday, May 29, 2009
Hey y'all, I'm probably on my way to the airport by now! I'm headed to the OC, MD area to hang with the 'rents and my favorite brother. Yes, he's also my only brother, but let's not quibble.
Have a great weekend! Hug someone you love. Just saying.
Thursday, May 28, 2009
Pretty much all of the people I know like or love chocolate. There are one or two who aren't as crazy about it, but those people need counseling and we won't discuss them further. Anyway, I just thought I'd brighten up your Thursday with some free chocolate. That's right. FREE chocolate. You can check it out here.
And you're welcome.
Now I must get on the elliptical in preparation for my free chocolate.
Wednesday, May 27, 2009
As summer approaches--okay, let's be honest, in Florida, summer has been here for about 2 weeks already--my mind turns to comfy, easy, summer clothes. And this year I seem to be particularly found of the dress. I can't help but think how easy they'd be for Nationals in DC too. Just pop one on with some cute sandals and a short jean jacket or cardigan for in the hotel and you're set. Here are a few I'm really liking:
Now I really feel like shopping... What are you looking forward to wearing this summer?
Tuesday, May 26, 2009
Monday, May 25, 2009
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Friday, May 22, 2009
Just some random collected thoughts for you this Friday:
1. I am no longer 19. Thank God. I am so much better than I was at 19!
2. Working out is good for me. It makes me strong and gives me a shape I like. I just wish there was a workout that involved the consumption of spaghetti and meatballs. Or that I liked the shape consuming said food gives me.
3. There are three groups of people of who go to theme parks: those who dress appropriately, those who look like they just rolled out of bed and those who seem to think it's a contest to show as much skin as possible. Seriously, if you're over 60 and weigh more than 300 pounds, leave the tube top home. Thanks.
4. My husband is my best friend. Marry a man you can be silly with and you won't go wrong.
5. Friends are a rare and valuable commodity. Love them back as much as they love you. Maybe more.
Any random observations you'd like to share?
Thursday, May 21, 2009
What is Mr. T doing on my blog today, you ask? Well, let me tell you. See, Mr. T and I share a birthday. And that birthday happens to be TODAY!
So not only do we both like a good tan and appreciate sparkly things, but we were both born on May 21st. Amazing, huh? I was never an actual member of the A Team, however. Hard to believe, I know.
And while I can't speak for what Mr. T will be doing (jewelry shopping?), Hotrod and I will be spending the day at Universal Studios riding rollercoasters, eating junk and acting like teenagers, despite the fact that I turn 39 today and he's been 39 waaaaaaaaay longer.
Of course it goes without saying that I pity the fool who doesn't wish me happy birthday.
Wednesday, May 20, 2009
There are many things I must do today, but most important is calling RWA to renew my membership. I have to call because I'm dropping the extra $15 to have the RWR shipped first class and I can't make that change online (as they've responded to my email about doing just that.)
So, I have to make a phone call before my membership expires. Which is like any day now. So please, feel free to nag me until it's done.
Thanks. I knew I could count on you.
Tuesday, May 19, 2009
Find out what color you are at Fictionistas today! You know you want to.
And if anyone's interested, that new workout I started yesterday? Sore doesn't begin to describe me. I love it! I always feel like I've actually done something if I'm sore, you know?
Monday, May 18, 2009
I'm starting a new workout routine today. 90 minutes of cardio a week plus a specific full body workout 3 times a week. According to Glamour magazine (where this workout comes from) doing this routine just twice a week will result in a difference in just less than a month. So of course, 3 times a week has to be better.
I really need to get motivated, lose some weight and get in shape. Like most writers, I sit at a desk way too much. Plus, I have a birthday coming up and that's a pretty good motivator!
Okay, gotta move...I really want to drop a size by Nationals. Okay, I want to drop two, but who's counting.
What do you do to workout?
Saturday, May 16, 2009
Friday, May 15, 2009
*News Flash - Today is Friday. Ignore the title of this post. I was sleepy when I wrote it.*
Today is both a fun day and a work day. It's going to start out with a little necessary shopping (I have things to buy for people), then lunch with a friend where many writerly things will be discussed, then home again for the work half of the day. That includes:
1. Calling RWA to renew my dues. I really wish I were spending that money on clothes.
2. Finishing the edits from the pages returned to me by my beta readers.
3. Working on a series synopsis for my urban fantasy.
I have a feeling that will take most of the day. At some point, I want to get into the pool and float. It really helps me think and I've got two more books to "plot" out in this series. And when I say plot I mean make them sound interesting enough that someone actually wants to buy them.
And aren't those dishes cute? They totally made me think girl's day out. What are you doing today?
Thursday, May 14, 2009
Wednesday, May 13, 2009
This is one of those posts I don't usually write. Serious. And about writing. There are no cats or shoes or random observations in this post, just some truths I've come to learn over time.
We need to own our process and not think less of it. What do I mean? Our process - the way we write a book. If it's working for you, and by working I mean you get to the end and have a finished book, then OWN IT. What's wrong with that? Why do we keep looking for the next great way to write a book when we already know how? Do you write straight through and vomit out a messy first draft? Great! Do you putter as you go, editing and tweaking until the first draft is almost publishable as is? Fabulous! Do you write scenes as they come to you, then put it all together in the end? Wonderful!
I write this because it's been my observation that when we try a new process and force ourselves into that new method, it doesn't work. And the not working can be ugly.
So stop looking and embrace what you're doing! Your process doesn't have to be anyone else's! It works for you and what's so wrong with that?
Now go write. Feel free to tell me what your process is before you go, though.
Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Monday, May 11, 2009
With all my focus on writing lately, reading has been put on the back burner. Last night, I finally read a book. And a remarkable book at that. If I Stay by Gayle Forman is a YA that talks about the choices of life and the meaning of family. It almost made me cry, and that's saying something because books rarely have that affect on me.
Check it out if you get a chance. You won't be disappointed.
What have you read lately?
Saturday, May 09, 2009
Friday, May 08, 2009
It's Friday! The most universally loved day of the week, I believe. Just a few things to share:
I can't stop listening to this song. Breaking Benjamin is a new band for me and I'm really digging them. Have you heard of them before?
And last night's premiere of Fashion Show on Bravo. I didn't think it was quite as good as Project Runway, I must confess. First of all, most of the clothes they produced were hideous. And that Merlin is so gay he makes my teeth hurt. He really ticked me off with his "male domination" comment. Male? Honey, have you seen the fancy feathered hat and 6-inch heeled white go-go boots you're wearing? Um. Yeah.
Did you watch? What did you think? Have a great Friday!
Thursday, May 07, 2009
I'm not blogging today. I'm not twittering. I'm not forum surfing.
I'm delivering my FINISHED urban fantasy to my readers for a last run through, then I'm going SHOPPING, baby!
I need to do something that doesn't involve books or writing or words for a few hours.
What are you doing today?
Wednesday, May 06, 2009
Why is there no watermelon delivery service? I love the stuff. I mean LOVE it. I ate a whole one yesterday. (Not all at once.) I'll probably eat another one today, but then I'm out. If there was a delivery service, I'd have them bring me one every day.
Even one of those funky square Japanese ones. Although I hear they're uber expensive. At least it would sit nicely in the fridge and not coming barreling out of the car when you opened the back hatch. (Trust me on that one. Not good.)
And now, back to my editing cave! I must finish these edits so I can deliver this book to my beta readers tomorrow. What are you working on? What's your Wednesday Why?
Tuesday, May 05, 2009
I'm over at Fictionistas today doing an interview with author/agent Lucienne Diver about her new book, Vamped - and a few other interesting things.
Stop by and comment and you might win a copy of this fab new book!
Monday, May 04, 2009
I finished the first draft of my killer urban fantasy, BLOOD RIGHTS, last night.
And while there is still a lot of work to be done on it (stuff to change, emotion to layer in, descriptions to fine tune, word choices to agonize over), I love revisions so I'm a happy camper. It's putting new words on the page that wears me out.
Which means I'm taking a small breather today, running some errands, etc. then I'm printing the manuscript out and sitting down with it and my trusty red pen.
I'm so psyched!! Finishing a book is one of the best feelings in the world. Seriously. You should try it.
Saturday, May 02, 2009
Friday, May 01, 2009
First of all, holy cow! It's May 1st! Where did April go? Wow. Just wow. Does anybody actually do Maypoles anymore?
Secondly, affect vs effect. I think we all get stuck on that one once in a while.
I hope this helps:
1. If you are talking about a result, then use the word "effect."
- Example: What effect did the weather have on the parade?
2. It is appropriate to use the word "effect" if one of these words is used immediately before the word: into, no, take, the, any, an, or and.
- Example: The prescribed medication had no effect on the patient's symptoms.
- Example: In analyzing a situation, it is important to take the concepts of cause and effect into consideration.
3. If you want to describe something that was caused or brought about, the right word to use is effect.
- Example: The new manager effected some positive changes in the office. (This means that the new manager caused some positive changes to take place in the office.)
4. Affect can be used as a noun to describe facial expression.
- Example: The young man with schizophrenia had a flat affect.
- Example: The man took the news of his wife's sudden death with little affect.
5. Affect can also be used as a verb. Use it when trying to describe influencing someone or something rather than causing it.
- Example: How does the crime rate affect hiring levels by local police forces?
- Example: The weather conditions will affect the number of people who come to the county fair this year.