Monday, April 06, 2009

It's how fur?

I thought I'd start Monday off with a writing tip type thingy.

Further vs. Farther - do you know the difference?

Farther refers to length or distance. It is the comparative form of the word far when referring to distance.

Further means "to a greater degree," "additional," or "additionally." It refers to time or amount. It is the comparative form of the word far when meaning "much."

Correct: Manhattan is farther north than Miami.
(Refers to distance)

Correct: This idea requires further study.
(Meaning "additional study," refers to amount)

Correct: By my watch, we should be further along.
(Refers to time)

I hope that clears things up. (Also, if you say further and farther over and over, they stop sounding like words that mean anything.) Now get writing! Let's make this Monday productive, shall we?

13 comments:

  1. LOL My crit partner just caught this mistake in my manuscript. Thanks for the tip Kristen!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ack, I looked at the words too long. Heh, I get the same problem when I focus too much on any word. (Like when I was looking for 'felt' last week - after a while 'felt' looked weird.)

    Here's to a productive Monday, everyone! =o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks. I so need this type of stuff stuffed in my pea brain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:53 AM

    I never had a problem with these words...until now. thanks a lot. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. You in your teachers hat totally turns me on.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for tip!

    Now I shall go further with my writing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous11:56 AM

    another one you could tackle for me..

    Bare and Bear

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Kristen. I have a book filled with words that are often misused. Trust me I need it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Why do they still sound so interchangeable in my head?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I always mess up Then and Than. Even though Yes, I technically understand the difference, it gets all messed up.
    And Strait and straight. WHAT they're the SAME UGH!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the tip! Now if I could just figure out layed and laid. Is layed a word? If it's not it should be. :P

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thanks! This is one of those speed bumps for me. I usually get it wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Now in Kentucky, we just do away with farther altogether and replace it with "it's a fur piece up the road". This kind of blends further and farther together, see?

    ReplyDelete