Wednesday, May 11, 2005

The Ebb and Flow

I know I said I was going to write about my trip to Spain, but I lied. We did a lot of lounging poolside, site-seeing, shopping and eating. There, now you know everything. Oh and I had my wallet pickpocketed by a short, lying, pregnant Spanish girl. Now you really know everything.

Moving on...

We travel frequently (last year we went to England, Germany, Australia, Hawaii, Texas, Florida and Nevada) so I've developed the discipline necessary to write on the road. I've written violent scenes surrounded by the hubbub of a busy airport. I've written tender scene in the dark cabin of a redeye flight. I've written in hotel rooms, by resort pools, even jotted notes at a sushi bar. I can write anywhere. And I do.

But not this time. I wrote very little while we were in Spain. It was almost as if my muse decided to take a vacation too. Frustrating, because I desperately want to finish this book and start polishing. This is the book that will get me published. I know it. I can feel it. I've even had others tell me this. The premise is truly unique. At least I think it is. (Those of you who've read snippets would probably agree, no one else is writing this story at the moment.)

So, we're home. And I'm finally recovered from the jet lag/time change. And I'm writing. Not just in dribs and drabs but in half-chapter chunks. Twelve pages one day, fourteen the next. And I'm editing too. One hundred ten pages in a single day. Then thirty on another day. WOOHOO! I'm back and so is my muse. Apparently, the vacation did wonders for her.

If I keep this up, the rough draft will be finished next week and the first few chapters (which a lovely agent is currently waiting on) will be polished and in the mail. I'll have this manuscript shiny and sparkling, ready to pitch in Reno. Of course, that's if I don't sell it or get an agent before then.

It could happen. And if does, you'll be the first to know. Well...right after my husband and my mom and dad and my best friend and my brother and my chapter and all the divas at Romance Divas and...

2 comments:

  1. Hurray! I'm happy to hear that your Muse is back after taking a vacation. I guess you both needed. *vbg*

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should thank me for lending "her" to you K.

    ReplyDelete