Thursday, August 25, 2005

On Not Writing

I'm not writing. Between the unpacking, general house-setting up and lack of an office, I'm not writing. Not that my head is any emptier of stories - it isn't. My current WIP keeps spinning around, little scenes playing themselves out on my brain screen. My characters are nagging me. "When are you going to get back to us? We have things to do, trouble to get into, havoc to wreck!"

Hah! My hero just wants to kiss the heroine again. I know how he is.

Despite the need to write, I'm just not. I want to but I can't seem to get to the place where I'm capable of doing it. The stress (or whatever you want to call it) of moving and getting resettled has just sapped the creativity out of me. At least that's the way I feel. Maybe I'm not drinking enough coffee.

I will tell you this...the prospect of getting my office set up excites me. My new office furniture, including my new desk!, arrives Tuesday. I can't wait. I get the feeling when that happens, I'll be writing my little fingers into nubs.

Do you go through times like this? When you just feel out of sorts about writing because of other things going on in your life?


9 comments:

  1. Because I write Nonfiction for a living it is always like this for me. I have to force myself to do it much of the time. Once I start I am good. The words flow and I feel great. So it's sort of like exercise. I knwo I am going to love it once I get started...
    teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kristin,

    I'm there with you. I go through that alot. Don't worry, things will get back on track.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hear ya sista. I am in this massive funk and I can't wait to write my heart out again. Sigh. Don't forget the special Diva desk for me when I visit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous9:42 PM

    I wouldn't worry Girl. I think it's the heat(It's 100 degrees here).I have been writing in spurts. I finished my short story couldn't write anything till yesterday. I did 12pages. Today not jack.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't even worry about it, Kristen. Give yourself permission to get through this transition period without any "I'm not writing" angst. That way, when you get back to it, you won't have to work through the guilt garbage.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous10:03 AM

    Don't even sweat not writing. Do what you need to do (WOO HOO on the new office!), and once everything's settle in, you'll go like gangbusters. I know you will. I have faith in you.

    I go through it all the time. With all the stuff I need to do for my kids, it feels like I'll never find time to plug my little JumpDrive into my laptop and open my WIP.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can never write when I have monumentous tasks to do. The stress saps me. Hang in there. Once you have your office set up, and you're all put together we'll be able to hear the typing up here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous6:44 AM

    Kristin,

    I hear you, girl! I just moved a couple months ago and lost so much writing time before, during AND after!

    Hang in there and just keep jotting down notes. Once your new office is all set up, you'll make up for lost time. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! I'm right there with you - but at least you have legitimate reasons NOT to be writing.

    And I totally miss talking to you!

    ReplyDelete