Thursday, October 06, 2005

What Am I Doing?

When you're still struggling to get published, there are times when being a writer really sucks. Like when you get a rejection from an agent you thought you made a connection with. That happened to me this week.

I'm not going to name names or rant and rave...that's not what this post is about. Granted, I would have liked something a little more personal than a form email after the previous correspondence we shared but hey, everyone has to do what's right for them, you know?

What this post is about is the why of writing. Why do I do this? Why do you do this? It can be soul-searingly painful at times.

Every rejection I receive makes me question why I write and if I should continue to write. Well, at least it does for about five seconds. I've been writing since I could hold a pencil, why would I stop now?

I will get published. I know that. Just like I know Christmas will be here on December 25th. In this business, those who persevere win.

And so today, four more submission packets go in the mail carrying my dreams and hopes and wishes to people I pray have the vision to see me for the uncut diamond that I am.

Polish me. I'm ready to sparkle.

11 comments:

  1. Kristen,

    You already do sparkle.

    Teri

    ReplyDelete
  2. don't let those rejections get you down, hon. Unfortunately, they're a huge part of this business (though I wish that were different).

    Good luck with those submissions. I just know you'll be posting good news very soon! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous9:23 AM

    (((Kristen)))

    You WILL get published. It's WHEN not if. As for why we do this . . . maybe because it's just a part of who we are?

    Sending you cyber chocolate chip cookies, fresh from the oven.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are so incredibly talented and your writing is astounding. I love every bit of your stories that you've shared.

    Perservere. You will do it. You have the best attitude, and that is what will see your dreams come true.

    Smooch
    Bri

    ReplyDelete
  5. You'll pub girlfriend. You know I'm big on competition so first one to get publish buys the other a great present... hummm.... Not like I wouldn't pamper you anyway if we made it big!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm feeling your pain today, Kristen. With an agent and two completed manuscripts "out there," I can't for the life of me understand why I don't have a contract yet. The only reason that presents itself is that my writing stinks. But that ain't constructive, is it? I agree with you 100 percent about perserverance. It's so easy to give up and dang it, I'm not the type of person to do anything the easy way. So onward.

    Keep that head up and can't wait to see you guys in Atlanta!

    SHC

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous3:21 PM

    You are so very write. Those who persevere , Win. Keep it up. I have faith I'll see your name on a book cover soon!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:20 AM

    Honestly, I think most writers reach a point where writing is no longer a conscious decision. It's a necessity. We must do it in order to maintain what precious little sanity we have left.

    (You called me crazy first, remember? *g*)

    I agree with Teri. You already sparkle, and I know that contract is just around the corner. Keep your chin up, although it sounds like you've already got a pretty good attitude about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Keep your head up. It will happen for ya.

    ReplyDelete
  10. You know, Gena Showalter went through a lot of ups and downs before selling her first book, and then she sold 6 or 7 in one year.

    It can happen with perseverance. That's the key. You have to keep writing, keep working, keep submitting. If you don't, then you know you won't ever make it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I know there are times that you may want to give up, but you can't. Keep on writing and submitting.

    ReplyDelete