Monday, June 22, 2009

A Call To Action

If you haven't heard the news about RWA's stoneage stance on digital publishing, it might be because you're not a member of RWA.

If you've been following the conversations going on online, here's one more to add to it: Samhain executive editor, Angela James issues a Call To Action on the ESPAN blog. Not only is she fair and articulate, but she's my editor. Does an author proud, really. *sniff*

Here's Kassia Krozser's (of Booksquare and Quartet Press) take on things: Time for a Change

You may have also heard about the RWA Change group. We're not a pitchfork-wielding bunch of hooligans, we're mostly RWA members-in-good-standing who value RWA and want to save RWA from becoming obsolete by helping to educate members about digital publishing, pushing for more inclusive publisher and published author standards and to somehow once and for all eliminate the no-man's land between the GH and the RITA that epubbed authors fall into. You can join the group yourself right here.

I'm a member, because I believe that there is a chance we can change RWA and I'd rather be part of the change than just give up on an organization that has the potential to be a great tool for advocacy and education.

What do you think?

7 comments:

  1. I've been following this and am not sure yet. I def. agree that there needs to be some sort of decision regarding GH and Rita. As for e-publishing, it seems to me that certain ones are obviously legit pubs.

    ReplyDelete
  2. To quote Bob Dylan: Oh, the times they are a-changin'.
    Some people can embrace change with joy and enthusiasm. Others have to be dragged into it kicking and screaming. It seems that some of the powers that be at RWA belong to the latter group.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the links. I look forward to reading them. I'm a member because of my local chapter and because of the national meeting and the wonderful people I have met there. RWA does need to change with the times. Digital publishing is the future as well as print and should not be ignored.

    ReplyDelete
  4. RWA is a wonderful organization, but like any large group it has its faults. If we don't stand up and ask for change, it's not going to happen. RWA Change can make a difference and I'm proud to be a member!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love RWA and I really love my local and online chapters. If I didn't, I wouldn't be advocating change :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love Angela James, wish she was my editor too! I'm not up on the change? What's the deal? RWA is in e-book denial?

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't see why they seem to think there isn't room for e-pub. There's room for everyone!
    Change: good.

    ReplyDelete