Tuesday, December 04, 2007

Favorite Christmas Treats

These are a few of my favorite Christmas treats:

1. Holiday color M&M's - yes, I know they don't taste any different, but they're so festive and pretty. Eating the Christmas colored ones seems less like a cheat.

2. Eggnog - but only in small doses. Too much and I lose my love of it quickly. Unless it's homemade - for some reason, that goes down easier.

3. Cookies - so many varieties, so little time. I love all cookies. Sugar with thick icing especially. And those peanut butter ones with the Hershey kiss in the middle. And good ole chocolate chip. And M&M cookies, with the Holiday colors, of course.

4. Ham - Ham is good eats no matter the time of year, but Christmas seems about the only time when I get my fill. We rarely have it otherwise. Bacon would be a subset of this treat, but not as special since we have it more often. Mmmmm...ham.

5. Hot cider - the perfect thing for when you come in from playing in the snow. (Obviously not here in FL.) I talked to my mom this morning and she said they have fat flakes drifting down - warm up the cider!

6. Mashed potatoes - See ham. Love them, rarely eat them. Holidays are all the excuse I need. Plus there's butter involved. What's not to love?

7. Panettone - like Italian fruitcake, but more cakey and less chopped gross candied fruit. So good with coffee. Leftovers make an awesome bread pudding.

8. Godiva chocolates - somehow (maybe a Christmas miracle) a box of these always ends up in the vicinity during Christmas. I adore Godivas, but hate to share them. I know, I need to work on my Christmas spirit.

9. Cheese - another thing that seems to show up in abundance around Christmas, maybe because cheese and crackers is such an easy snack to hold off the ravenous crowds trying to eat dinner before it's time. Behold! The power of cheese!

10. Meatballs - Not a traditional Christmas treat, but when Christmas includes my dad, there are bound to be meatballs. And let me tell you, my dad's meatballs...you'd kill for them. They are little balls of meaty heaven on earth. Sicilians just know how to cook, what can I say? The fact that meatballs usually means pasta is also involved is not to be overlooked.

What are your favorite Christmas treats? Anything out of the ordinary? I'd love to hear about it.

7 comments:

  1. Pumpkin pie and cool whip!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Hickory Farms Beef Stick. Daddy used to get one for me every Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm I always make sugar cookies w/ lots of frosting every year. Yum. And I love ham but like you, only seem to eat it at Christmas.

    I also love my grandma's scalloped potatoes. They are deee-lish. But unfortunately I won't be spending Christmas this year with her so waah.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Panettone french toast. What did I do before I married into the Italian family? How can one live without Panettone?

    The Feast of Seven Fishes (see what I mean about the Italians?). Mmmm--but NO SQUID. I refuse to eat legs with suckers on them *shudder*.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cranberry bread, pumpkin bread, cookies, babka (Polish cake), and ham are definites in my house!

    ReplyDelete
  6. If the only food at my holiday dinner was mashed potatoes...I'd be completely happy. :)

    I also only get pumpkin pie at this time of year. Cool whip is a must!
    L

    ReplyDelete
  7. Baklava made with almonds instead of walnuts. I make pounds of homemade baklava every year and it vanishes as fast as I pull it from the oven. MMMMM so yummy.

    ReplyDelete