Tuesday, January 09, 2007

The Big Island - Part II

Some more pics and a story... One of the many beautiful golf courses Hotrod played - this is the same one that had mountain goats all over it.
The lovely little town of Kailua. Doesn't it look like a place you could live? I think I could...
The view from the place we ate breakfast at almost every morning. And yes, those are golf carts. Let's just say Hotrod has an addiction.

The Story:

Okay, we went to dinner at this chic-chic place that turned out to be only so-so (the food was great, the visibility of the sunset was NOT as promised), and while we were waiting for our table, we walked the beach a bit. We came across this pitiful looking honu (See pic below - pitiful, right?)...
We thought he was dead, but then he started drooling (this is also how I know the turtle was boy - girls don't drool when they sleep) and since he was generally looking ill, Hotrod decides we should rescue it and put it back in the water. (How can I not love a man who wants to save turtles?) Just as he's approaching him to pick him up, a woman runs down from the nearby hotel yelling, "No, no!"

Apparently, the turtles come to that beach all the time to sleep on the rocks and absorb their residual heat. And there's a $10,000 fine for touching a honu. We've had some expensive dinners, but that would have topped them all!

I referred to Hotrod as "The Turtle-Toucher" for the rest of the trip. He was not amused.

5 comments:

  1. LOL. The Turtle Toucher.
    That's hilarious. I can't understand why he wasn't amused. :)
    The pictures are fabulous.
    Sigh.
    My husband owes me a trip to Hawaii.
    He doesn't think so, but it's true. :)
    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a book title to me. Much more macho than whispering to horses. :-)
    And I agree with him. I woulda been tugging that thing back to the ocean too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I WANNA GOOOOOO!

    Tell Turtle Toucher Aloha for me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous8:00 PM

    Your pictures are beautiful. I probably would have touched the turtle, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm green with envy-those pics are gorgeous. And I think your golf loving turtle toucher is sweet to want to save the drooling cutie. I'm really glad for you that he didnt though :}
    Sounds like you had a lovely time.

    ReplyDelete