Saturday, January 13, 2007

Is That So Wrong?

I make myself laugh. As in, when I'm reading my own work, I laugh out loud. Is that odd? You see, I've been reading through Date With The Devil - this is the book I put down to write a book for Nocturne - to get back into the story and reconnect with the characters so I can finish it.

The first night, I stayed up until almost 1am reading my own stuff. I couldn't put it down! Then the next night, besides laughing out loud, I actually said, "That's good stuff," as I finished a chapter.

Now, you have to understand, it's close to five months since I looked at this story. I've forgotten a lot of what I wrote, especially the little bits.

So do you do this when you read your own stuff? Or am I having some sort of bizarre ego trip?

6 comments:

  1. Anonymous11:27 AM

    Sorry I haven't commented much lately -- I had to take some envy management classes to get past my bitterness over your Hawaiian holiday. ;)

    I do exactly the same thing. I was just reading over my NaNo writing (a sequel), and while some of it made me cringe, a lot of it made me think, "Wow! Hey, this is a great story!" And yes, I also laughed out loud a few times. This character from the first book, who was a total riot, makes several appearances in this book -- I'm having to be very careful not to let her steal the show from this one's heroine.

    Being a writer is an odd balance of ego and insecurity, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have one story like that. I read it after a few months and thought it was still great. Then I found myself rereading it not just once, but a few times, just becuse it was good! (subjective, I know)

    Anyway, that's the one that's sitting on an editor's desk. And I hope, fingers crossed, that she likes it just as much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous12:12 PM

    I've done that before. I figure that's when I know I've done it right. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gee, this is like dirty little secrets, but yeah. There are some parts of my stories that make me split my sides every time I read them, even that 20th edit when everything else looks dull. Not sure what that says about us????

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous5:16 PM

    I've done this before :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I did that with my first story recently. I looked at it again since someone wanted to read it and I have to admit-though I saw things that could use improvement-I laughed quite a bit when I was supposed to :}-and it really surprised me.

    ReplyDelete