Saturday, August 08, 2009

Caturday! Sort of.

A pair of mourning doves has made a nest in one of our palm trees. Here you can see Mrs. Dove sitting in the nest. The nest is actually in some of branch pieces that remain after the dead branches are trimmed off. After a while, the remaining pieces fall away on their own. Here, the pieces are hanging off the tree, but still firmly attached, and that's where they've made their home.


And home it's going to be for a while, because there are eggs in there! Here you can see them - two, which is typical for mourning doves. We're gonna have babies! (In about 15 days, that's how long it takes them to hatch.) I'll be sure to post pics of the little ones when they arrive.

8 comments:

  1. Very cool! Looking forward to seeing the baby pictures. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to see them hatch! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love mourning doves. Thanks for sharing the pics, and I can't wait to see your newest feathered neighbors. =o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous11:39 AM

    Love it! Can't wait to see the "baby" pictures

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's so awesome!

    We recently found a baby black racer in our palm tree.

    I can't wait to see the little birds! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. How sweet! I used to have mourning doves try to nest every year on my front porch wreath. I finally had to stop putting it up because I couldn't get in my house. LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy and Healthy 15 day gestation period Ms K. You look marvelous for the impending little nuggets.

    ReplyDelete
  8. We have mourning doves here too, and they nest in the almond orchard that surrounds my house. Its nice waking up in the morning to the sounds of their cooing.

    Janice~

    ReplyDelete