Wednesday, July 16, 2008

You're In, You're Out. You're In, You're Out. You're In...

cat

We recently installed a pet door panel (and by we, I mean Hotrod) in one of our sets of sliding doors. This was done in hopes that we would no longer be forced to get out of bed because of the crying/meowing/wrestling/carrying on that occurs when the hellions want out at 3 AM. (And so you know, this only gets them onto the fully screened lanai, not the actual great outdoors.)

So far, this door has been met with a great deal of "meh." I thought Sam had figured it out, and I think he has for the most part, he still occassionally goes to the slider and cries. Max has learned to come in, but can't get that the door will also let him out. *sigh* And Scooter, the cat who taught himself to flush the toilet so he could watch the water go down, doesn't seem to get the door at all.

Anyone have any ideas how I might speed up this learning curve? I'd love some training ideas.

7 comments:

  1. Wish I had some advice. I'm trying to figure out how to 'unteach' Topper to open the bathroom door while I'm taking a shower.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! If you get some good advice, let me know. We installed one of those cat doors in our laundry room (where I keep the litter box) so I didn't have to have the door open all the time. The cats snubbed it. Both of them. Not even fresh tuna will get them to go through it. I think they think it's some sort of trap:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. remove the flap. We did and that made all the difference in the world.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh! in the Mary Englebreit magazine there was a picture of a cat door cut out in the shape of a cat's head with a little sign on top that said, 'Cats are just tiny women in cheap fur coats." No flaps.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh no! Poor you. Cats are so stubborn and smart. They probably know just what to do but just want you to do the work for them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. kittie treats outside? Nope, Maria already suggested that. Sorry. So nots a cat person. But still love the silly pictures ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thinking some sort of reward program.
    If you could record a special soundbyte get a speaker to play...say the sound of cat food can opening they might get the hint. :)
    L

    ReplyDelete